This page provides information on how to care for your local wildlife and what to do when you find injured wildlife

What to do with injured wild animals

Image of injured gull being rescued by RSPCA

If you find an injured wild animal, watch it first to see how badly hurt it is. Then if possible take it to a nearby vet or wildlife rehabilitator (call first to make sure they can take and treat the animal). The nearest is East Winch in Norfolk but this is currently closed to the public due to Coronvirus so it is better to call the national cruelty line on 0300 1234 999 or take to a vet.

It’s often faster to take an animal to a vet or wildlife rehabilitator yourself as our nearest officer may be out of the area attending other calls.

If you’re unable to transport the animal and cannot find a wildlife rehabilitator who is able to help, contact us about an animal in distress. If possible, contain the animal before calling.

Be careful when approaching wild animals, they can scratch and bite when frightened, particularly if they’re injured. If in doubt, keep a safe distance and call us on 0300 1234 999.

Our main RSPCA National site has further information on what to do when you find injured wildlife. You can access all this information on their website by clicking the link here.

Who to call for certain animals

The following animals can’t be handled or transported by the public:

  • an injured deer
  • seal
  • wild boar
  • otter
  • badger
  • fox
  • snake
  • bird of prey (including owls)
  • swan
  • goose
  • heron
  • gull.

If you see one, keep a safe distance and call us on 0300 1234 999.

How to feed and protect your local wildlife

Image of wildlife - squirrel in woods - for guide on how to feed squirrels

There is a lot of information on our national website about how to feed your local wildlife. This includes hedgehogs, birds, squirrels, badgers, foxes, frogs and toads, deer and snakes. Please click here to go to their site for full information